Parents across the United States are struggling with the question, “How do we help our kids feel safe when we worry we are living in an increasingly unsafe world?” It’s a hard and sad question; one that many Americans have never had to face. In this episode, recorded one day after a mass shooting in Charlottesville, VA, we will discuss:
- Why is it so important for our kids to feel safe?
- What do we say to help them feel safe?
- How can they help themselves feel more safe?
- How can we turn our fear into action, at all ages?
- How do we continue to stay engaged in action to help people across all communities?
To be honest, the beginning of this episode is a little sadder and less hopeful than we usually are at Active and Connected Families. However, it reflects the honest emotion and fear that we all feel after gun violence.
Our hearts go out to the families of Devin Chandler, D’Sean Perry, and Lavel Davis. We are devastated for you.
Thanks so much for listening.
If you are worried about what to say to your children after gun violence, this episode is for you. You can find our podcast Active and Connected Families wherever you listen to your podcasts, or easily click the links below to listen:
More about Virginia Family Therapy
Virginia Family Therapy is a mental health practice serving individuals, families, and our community. VFT is designed to help people at all stages and from all walks of life by offering therapists and physicians with diverse backgrounds and specialties via face-to-face, walk-and-talk, and telemedicine appointments. Throughout, we are committed to developing strengths-based, authentic, and long-lasting relationships with you and your children. We hope to provide you with the support and insight you need to help your family navigate life’s hard times and joys.
Are you or your child struggling with mental health? We have a team of psychologists and psychiatrists who can help you out. You can learn more about our practice or contact us here.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- We’d love to hear your feedback on our podcast. Why not leave us a review on Apple Podcasts?
- Connect with us on Facebook or Instagram.
- We’ve got a bunch of episodes for you to binge-listen to! How about one of our most listened-to episodes on how we explain anxiety to kids and families?
Disclaimer: Please remember we are real live therapists, however this is a podcast and is not considered a therapy session. Not only because there is no co-pay but also because we can’t speak to your individual experiences. We are here to help you keep raising healthy kids. And remember, if you are an imperfect parent, we are right there with you. If you or someone you love is in immediate danger, please call your local crisis hotline or go to your nearest emergency room.