It’s that time of the year again: school is up and running, the holidays are coming up and anxiety is on the rise in both kids and families. That’s why we decided to rerelease our favorite and most listened-to podcast episode today. It’s the one we send out to our clients the most because we know how helpful it is.
In this episode, we talk about how we explain anxiety in all its glory to the kids and families that walk through our door. If you or your child worries, gets grumpy, is a perfectionist, puts tons of pressure on themselves, or has difficulty sleeping— this is the podcast for you! We discuss the relationship between anxiety, sensitivity, empathy, motivation, and superpowers all in this one episode. We also reveal a little about how anxiety/sensitivity impacts our own lives because we wouldn’t be therapists without it!
“There’s this unhealthy idea out there that anxiety is bad
… but ultimately we all have anxiety and it’s really helpful for us”
More about Virginia Family Therapy
Virginia Family Therapy is a mental health practice serving individuals, families, and our community. VFT is designed to help people at all stages and from all walks of life by offering therapists and physicians with diverse backgrounds and specialties via face-to-face, walk-and-talk, and telemedicine appointments. Throughout, we are committed to developing strengths-based, authentic, and long-lasting relationships with you and your children. We hope to provide you with the support and insight you need to help your family navigate life’s hard times and joys.
Contact us here.
In this episode on how we explain anxiety to kids and families, we cover:
- How common anxiety is (spoiler: everyone experiences it sometimes),
- The brain and body connection when it comes to anxiety,
- How sensitive and emphatic kids are more anxious,
- Evolutionary psychology,
- Our favourite ways to explain anxiety to kids and families,
- Our own experiences with anxiety,
- & more.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Are you or your child struggling with mental health? We have a team of psychologists and psychiatrists who can help you out. Don’t hesitate to contact us here.
- We’d love to hear your feedback on our podcast. Why not leave us a review on Apple Podcasts?
- Connect with us on Facebook or Instagram.
- Can’t wait to hear more? You’re lucky because you can immediately binge-listen our Anxiety series. Start here with How to Deal with Anxiety – Part 1.
Disclaimer: Please remember we are real live therapists, however this is a podcast and is not considered a therapy session. Not only because there is no co-pay but also because we can’t speak to your individual experiences. We are here to help you keep raising healthy kids. And remember, if you are an imperfect parent, we are right there with you. If you or someone you love is in immediate danger, please call your local crisis hotline or go to your nearest emergency room.